Friday 14 January 2011

Inconsiderate Swimmers

I made it to the pool this morning before work to carry on with my grand plan for the Grim. I always find it difficult to fit exercise in on Fridays. Between team lunches and the usual Friday drinking, the only time to do it is in the mornings. There have been 2 Fridays in the Janathon so far and I've been successful both times.

In the pool this morning there was a nice mix of what everyone is referring to as newbies and some girls who obviously swim quite a bit. The latter cheered me up after having to get up far too early.

Like everyone else at the gym, we all pay our money and so have the same rights to use the facilities but with that use comes a responsibility to use them properly. Take my example this morning:

I had a lane to myself and so a girl (not a "regular swimmer") decided to join me from the slow lane. I have no problems with that because the slow lane was pretty crowded, but she then decided to swim up and down the same rope. Partly from habit and partly from the ingrained lifeguard instinct from years gone by I always swim the correct way around a lane, even when I'm the only one in it. But how can someone come into a lane and decide to swim in completely the opposite direction. Its rude. Its inconsiderate. To put an Essex twist on it, it really jarred my brain.

However, the anger at this made me forget about my swimming, mainly how many lengths I did. I hate counting lengths, so this was kind of a good thing and I (think I) did more than I planned to do. And the newbie learned her lesson soon enough and reverted to the usual circular swimming etiquette.

Swam, blogged, breakfasted and in work by 8:20. Win!

1 comment:

  1. That is impressive swimming, blogging and breakfasting! :-)

    ReplyDelete