Saturday 8 January 2011

The Underdog Story

Today was my first 11-a-side football game after Christmas and I prepared for it like a professional by having copious amounts of alcohol and a doner kebab the night before. Needless to say, the quality of sleep I had last night wasn't the best so I stumbled out of bed and into the shower (I always shower before football, not really sure why).


We were playing a cup game today against a team in the top division (we're in the bottom division) so it was a real David vs Goliath fight.


The score isn't important here, the main thing is that we all tried our hardest (yes, we lost). The ground was very muddy so it was like running on sand sometimes and when a team is better than you, it always seems to be you doing more running than them.

One good thing I can take from the game today was the amount of running I managed. I would compare it to interval running with a gentle jog up the line, a sprint back along the line when the team have lost the ball and the winger has just strolled into your half with no one within 20 metres of him and a short rest while the goalkeeper picks the ball out of the net.

We did manage to string a few passes together and actually managed to claw 2 goals back, but it doesn't really make much difference when your 7-0 to start with :)

Its running time tomorrow and I have a feeling its going to be a difficult one, not least because I feel like I could sleep for the whole of tomorrow. Anyway, to the pub! I'm just glad I've got my blog post out of the way first :)

2 comments:

  1. You prepared like a WINNER! Enjoy the pub - I hope the legs are forgiving tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear.. bad times on the pitch! Could be worse you could play for Liverpool :)

    Enjoy the recovery run tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete